Is there enough action in your life? How can you know? What is action anyway?
I will tell you everything you should know about it.
So, what is action?
There are three types of actions:
1. Action of body – physical movements and other worldly actions.
2. Action of mouth – speaking and other types of communicating some message.
3. Action of mind – thinking, concentrating and other types of mental activity.
You could argue, that mouth is also a part of the body. So is the brain, that produces thoughts. All human body acts as a whole, this discrimination is only for the ease of understanding.
Some could argue, that communication is an action of mind and each physical body movement is the action of the mind. You’re right again :) All is one.
What actions are you already doing?
If you think much (as introverts usually do think too much), you are already doing one type of action. So, should you engage in other two types of actions more?
The interesting thing is that you are already doing other two types actions often enough. How?
You eat, sit, sleep, walk and that is body movements. You don’t need to dance, do sports, climb mountains. You’re digesting, your heart is beating, you’re breathing. And all this you do unconsciously without being aware of it.
Then you communicate. Your clothing already communicates something about you. Your facial expressions. Your email address. You don’t even need to talk, you are doing all this communication unconsciously.
And be honest, are you aware of all your thinking consciously? Are you conscious about all what you are thinking, or thoughts are flowing freely like a cloud of flies around you? I bet they’re flying around without your notice.
So, by talking about action, I mean mindful action. When I say, that you should take action, I speak about mindful action, because you are already doing every type of action without being aware of it.
Now, I believe you have a clue how will we analyse actions. It’s time to make use of this theory.
How actions can change your life?
1. Positive thinking makes life more positive. Remember? You do so many things unconsciously! So, if you mindfully change your thinking to a more positive one, your actions will unconsciously become more positive, and your life will become more positive. Being positive means to see the opportunities, not to hallucinate that everything is OK. To understand, that everything is fucked up and to see the opportunities.
2. Body movements make us feel better. Like my friend said, “You cannot make quick movements and feel like shit at the same time”. Remember? All is one. Your body movement stimulates the flow of the blood, the blood flows to the brain, and the brain thinks “Oh, that’s great”. And you don’t need that weightlifting, dancing etc. Leave it for extroverts. Try yoga, tai chi, hiking, cycling. Just walking in a nice quiet place is enough.
3. Worldly experience gives you input for thinking, creating and learning. Everything that you do and see stimulates new ideas how to improve your life. Just like books, but stronger, because it is just around you. I would never have started a blog if I haven’t met people who have one. “I need this too”: I decided.
4. Communicating about your problems and ideas can get you help and support. There are many people willing to help, so they will make use of any opportunity. Just don’t be selfish and allow them to do this. Sometimes you need just to ask.
5. Being better in communication allows you to communicate in your way. You will be able to speak quick and up to the point, avoid that stupid small talk and you will know how to get away quickly.
6. Worldly actions change your surroundings more quickly than just thinking about the change. Look, if you feel unhappy about something, it is difficult if not impossible, to switch your thinking into positive mode just like this – click! Nope. You must employ actions you’re already doing unconsciously, pay more attention to them. If you only think about it, maybe this will become some unconscious actions. But it is better to make mindful actions, so the change will occur sooner. Hate your job? Don’t wait until you fail (because you hate it) and they will fire you. Make your job enjoyable or quit yourself.
I really exerted all these principles and all of them changed my life in some or the other way.
I’m naturally positive, and when I had a lack of energy to do anything, I just found some ways how to get it.
I started going to my job with a bicycle, and that helped me to keep sanity with all this crazy office pressure.
I started to travel and that built my self-confidence. I started many new things (drumming, tai chi, caving), all of them improved my self-confidence, creativity, concentration and many other skills.
I said to some people, that I want to start hiking and quickly found new friends who started to invite me to hiking events.
I forced myself to do small talk, and now I can make it even smaller or equal to zero.
I always liked spending time in nature but did not do that. Until I said loudly, that I want to start hiking, bought a sleep bag and a train ticket to wild forest. I always considered myself as a philosopher but did not do anything about that. Until I started reading books about it and writing a blog about it.
If there’s something wrong about your life, you can change it. What you need is just action.